49 Third St. SE, PO Box 1278, Huron, SD 57350 • Ph: 605-352-6401 • Fax: 605-353-7457
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

Top Stories Records Sports Community Home 

Man injured in house fire

Posted: Friday, Nov 23rd, 2012


Members of the Huron Fire Department enter the residence at 447 Ohio Ave. S.W. on Wednesday evening while the smoke from a fire billows from the roof. A man was rescued at the scene and taken to the hospital. PHOTO BY KARA GUTORMSON/PLAINSMAN


HURON — A man sustained minor injuries Wednesday at the residence of 447 Ohio Ave. S.W. when a space heater caught fire in an upstairs bedroom, said Huron Fire Chief John Coughlin.

The call came in to the fire department at 4:45 p.m. The owner and occupant of the home, Chris Woodruff, was taken to the hospital after first responders arrived on scene.

“He had minor burns, singed hair and a cut on his hand,” said Coughlin.

Coughlin said 25 firefighters worked at the scene, but the home sustained quite a bit of damage. According to scanner reports, firemen returned to the scene at 7:25 p.m. when the fire flared up and flames were spotted coming from the roof.

Coughlin said they are still trying to piece together where the heater was in the room and what was around it that enabled it to catch on fire. Coughlin said that especially this time of year, people should be aware of the dangers of having any combustibles near space heaters. Woodruff was not available for comment at press time.



For the complete article see the 11-22-2012 issue.

Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 11-22-2012 paper.











Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Google

Entertainment







 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal