HURON — A reserve officer program that would allow citizens to volunteer with the police department as certified police officers is in the works.
At the request of Police Chief Gary Will Jr., the City Commission on Monday authorized Mayor Paul Aylward to sign a letter to the State Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Training Commission asking that the city of Huron be allowed to establish a program.
Will said the police department has been working for nearly three years to create a reserve officer program. The city would provide the training and equipment for volunteers to assist police, but reserves would not be paid, he said.
Many cities and counties in South Dakota have, or are authorized to establish, reserve programs.
Meanwhile, commissioners reappointed Richard Mittelstedt and Sarah Mittelstedt to four-year terms on the Community Garden Committee.
They voted to increase building permit fees for the first time since 2006. Huron was the lowest value per square foot among eight cities in the state.
• Hired Shelly Christy, Lora Katz and Lucien (Dale) Roden as 911 telecommunicators in the police department.
• Approved a request to apply for grant funds to replace a radar unit for the police department.
• Approved amendments to the contract with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 169.
• Approved the regular full-time status of Jeremy Jungemann, engineering technician.
• Approved a correction to the certified pay scale for Jeff Dixon.
• Accepted the voluntary resignation of Jerry Dennis, part-time, year-round custodian.
• Renewed the contract with the First District for maintenance of the E911 mapping database.
• Approved 2013 year-end fund transfers and contingency fund transfers.
• Approved raffle requests from the Prairie Heartland Rocky Mountain Elk Chapter for Feb. 22 at the Huron Event Center.
• Approved requests for alcoholic beverage consumption in public for events as filed by Marlena Tarbox for Feb. 9 at the Campus Center and Kevin Fritzsche for June 29 at Central Park.
• Set Feb. 10 as the hearing date for a special event on-sale alcoholic beverage license filed by the Huron Area Community Theatre Inc. on Feb. 14 at the Fine Arts Center.
• Accepted and filed civil service lists of applicants for the assistant library director position and airport operations maintenance technician position.
For the complete article see the 01-29-2014 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 01-29-2014 paper.