Decorated pumpkins are on display during the 2011 Huron Harvest Fest.In the next photo, children enjoy a hay ride in a horse-drawn wagon. PHOTOS CONTRIBUTED
Lots of children’s activities are planned during the Huron Harvest Fest on Saturday at the South Dakota State Fairgrounds.
All of the children’s activities will take place in the Family Living Center, so there will be plenty of fun for all, regardless of the weather.
Family activities are planned from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Family Living Center.
Miss Click It will entertain on stage beginning at 10 a.m.
A Children’s Costume Contest, featuring a $100 cash prize for the best costume, begins with registration at 10 a.m. Judging will be at 10:30 a.m.
Bring your painted pumpkins for the Painted Pumpkin Contest. Registration will be held from 11 a.m. to noon.
Hay rides will be held every 20 minutes throughout the day.
These activities are all free, and there will be many other activities and events going on throughtout the day.
The Huron Harvest Fest, sponsored by Huron Young Professionals, will also include a pingpong ball drop, great prizes, hundreds of kids’ prizes, a cook-off and two free bands — James River Bluegrass Band and Exit 357.
There will also be an Ellwein Brothers Octoberfest beer tasting event.
Registration for the Pork Butt Cook-off begins today from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. today, and from 6 to 7 a.m. Saturday in Younger Park. Judging will take place at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, with awards to be presented at approximately 8 p.m.
Prizes include $200 for first place; $100 for second place; and a $50 gift card for third place.
• People can register for a 5K run and walk beginning at 8 a.m. The Harvest 5K run and walk will be at 9 a.m. These are sponsored by Anytime Fitness.
• People are invited to try their hand at pumpkin carving from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Children’s events planned from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. include entertainment by Mrs. Click It, Needle in a Haystack, face painting, pumpkin carving demonstrations, Great Pumpkin Catapult, decorating pumpkin table, coloring table and hay rides.
• Fruit olympics will be held from 10:30 to 11 a.m.
• At 12:30 p.m., a kids’ pingpong ball drop will be held.
• A seed spitting contest begins at 1 p.m.
• A pumpkin recipe contest, sponsored by Center for Independence, will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. The rules are fairly simple; entries must include pumpkin. People wanting to enter can bring their pumpkin creation, along with the recipe, to the Family Living Center between 1 to 2 p.m. to be judged. Awards will follow.
• Bean bag tournament registration will begin at 2:30 p.m., with the tournament at 3 p.m.
• Ellwein Brothers Inc. Beer Tasting will begin at 3 p.m.
• An adult pingpong ball drop is planned at 4:30 p.m.
• James River Bluegrass Band will begin playing at 5 p.m., with the pork butt contest judging beginning at 7:30 p.m.
• At 8:30 p.m., the Exit 357 Band will begin performing.
Everyone is invited to attend this fun, annual event!
The HYP and the S.D. State Fair have designated the United Way Heartland Region (UWHR) as the recipient of donations received during the evening band performances at Huron Harvest Fest.
Head to the Family Living Center at the State Fairgrounds Saturday to hear James River Bluegrass Band at 6 p.m. and Exit 357 at 8:30 p.m., and support the UWHR with a donation to help the upcoming campaign.For the complete article see the 10-05-2012 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 10-05-2012 paper.