By Louise Van Poll
Of the Plainsman
The Huron Debate and Oral Interp team traveled to the Sioux Falls Washington Individual Events Tournament Nov 2.
“This was our first weekend out, while some teams have already had their first competition weekend,” said Head Coach Mitch Gaffer. “Still, we were able to have some good things happen. Although we didn’t make the stage for any trophy placings, we were able to get some quality performances from Maddy, Maddy, Sarahi and Tabitha. We had a lot of new students get their first taste of competition and now understand what kind of work they need to do to improve their performances.”
Below are listed the individual top placings for Huron in each event.
• In Duet Interp Maddy Klein and Maddy Gohn placed ninth out of 31 duo teams in the division.
• In Prose, Maddy Gohn placed 11th out of 46 registered competitors.
• In Poetry, Maddy Klein placed 12th out of 45 in the division.
• In Novice Humorous Interp, Tabitha Schmidt placed 13th out of 45.
• In Original Oratory, Sarahi Luna placed 13th out of a field of 28.
• In Dramatic Interp, Luna placed 14th out of 32 competitors.
This was the team’s traveling weekend, competing only in speech events. The team finished 13th out of 18 teams at the tournament. First place went to Sioux Falls Lincoln, second to Sioux Falls O’Gorman and third place to Aberdeen Central.
“We are off to a decent start, but we know we have a long way to go,” said Gaffer. “We have good interp pieces selected and good oratories written. We now need to work on polishing their delivery. With more practice, I know we can improve our performances, as we work toward the all-important first conference tournament in December.”
The next tournament for the Debate and Interp team is the Aberdeen Golden Eagle Challenge Nov. 9-10.
For the complete article see the 11-07-2012 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 11-07-2012 paper.
Share on Facebook