HURON — Monday evening the Huron School Board of Education approved the position of Kody Kopfman as head girls’ basketball coach during its Monday meeting.
Board President Garret Bischoff presented the press release stating coach Kopfman has been an assistant in the boys’ basketball program for the past seven years.
Prior to coaching in Huron, Kopfman was the assistant girls’ basketball coach at Wessington Springs for three seasons. Kopfman is a 2005 graduate from Huron High School and played on the 2004 Boys Basketball ESD and State Championship teams.
Director of ESL, Jolene Koneche, presented her Good News Report, saying 960 ESL students ended the year, with 101 of those students being first year in the country students.
A majority of the students came from Guatemala, with other countries represented being Cambodia, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Honduras, Micronesia and Myanmar. Their largest class was Madison second grade with 115 students.
Koneche anticipates this to be a busy summer, with summer school slated to start June 6. Last year 336 students attended summer school, and this year the count is at over 500 students attending the 12 day ESL summer school.
Dr. Kraig Steinhoff presented his report with the board highlighting that school lunches for ages 18 and under are free for the summer, with lunches to return back to normal this fall, but the free and reduced meal plans will still be available to those who qualify.
The board approved:
• The hire of Kody Kopfman as head girls basketball coach.
• Juneteenth to be considered a holiday.
• Grant funding for McKinley Learning Center to set up pre-school classrooms for ages 3-5 students with special needs.
• Bid from Cash-Wa Buller Fixture for a new commercial dishwasher.
• Permission to advertise for bids for marching band uniforms.
• Request for approval of open enrollment.
• Seven new hires and two resignations.
The next school board meeting will take place Monday, June 13, in the IPC room, located on the second floor of Huron Arena. The public is encouraged to attend.