Piano recitals and awards presented
Students of Beverly Bigge presented two “Students’ Choice” piano recitals at Hope Lutheran Church on May 16. An awards ceremony followed each recital.
Piano students who study with Bigge received National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC) gold cups. Students participating in the local Huron Junior Festival are required to memorize two pieces and perform them for an adjudicator.
Points are accrued from year to year to earn cups.
NFMC Gold Cup recipients are, from left, Logan Gerrits, First Cup; Maria Porter, First Cup; Audri Hohm, Second Cup and Alexandra Hohm, Second Cup.
• Third gold cup (45 points): Piano Solo: Kate Hamilton. She received nine consecutive superior ratings in the Junior Festival program.
• Second gold cup (30 points): Piano Solo: Cameron Cutshaw, Alexandra Hohm, Audri Hohm, and Jonathan Koel. Alexandra and Audri Hohm received six consecutive superior ratings.
• First gold cup (15 points): Piano Solo: Logan Gerrits and Maria Porter. They each received three consecutive superior ratings.
NFMC Gold Cup recipients are, from left, Cameron Cutshaw, Second Cup; Kate Hamilton, Third Cup and Jonathan Koel, Second Cup.
Students receiving NFMC superior certificates for Junior Music Festival were:
• Superior Plus ratings in Piano Solo: Lily Faul, Isabel Gilbert, Lydia Helkenn, Alexandra Hohm, Audri Hohm, Elaina Hohm, Nate Navurskis and Piano Hymn: Lydia Helkenn
• Superior ratings in Piano Solo: Anna Arhart, Avery Ashbaugh, Madalyne Bock, Logan Gerrits, Kate Hamilton, Peter Helkenn, Jonathan Koel, Emmersyn McGillvrey, Annie Porter, Maria Porter and Summer Senska; Piano Hymn: Peter Helkenn; Piano Duet: Alexandria Hohm and Audri Hohm
Special Recognition for Memorization went to Elizabeth Hohm
Students receiving the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) Study award for four or more years of study included:
• Four years: Madalyne Bock, Logan Gerrits, Taylor Metter, Nate Navurskis and Maria Porter
• Five years: Avery Ashbaugh and Emmersyn McGillvrey
• Seven years: Anna Arhart, Lydia Helkenn, Alexandra Hohm and Audri Hohm
• Eight years: Cameron Cutshaw and Jonathan Koel
• Nine years: Elaina Hohm
• Ten years: Kate Hamilton
• Twelve years: Isabel Gilbert
Recital performers include, back row from left, Elaina Hohm, Kate Hamilton, Cameron Cutshaw, Jonathan Koel and Anna Arhart. Middle row: Madalyne Bock, Summer Senska, Lily Faul, Reyna Hembree, Sadie Steinheuser and Lydia Helkenn. In front: Peter Helkenn, Taylor Metter and Maeve Magness.
Other awards included (double asterisk means Outstanding Excellence):
• Studio Achievement of Practice Goals Award: Brooklyn Chase**, Lydia Helkenn**, Peter Helkenn**, Audri Hohm, Elizabeth Hohm and Annie Porter
• Studio Technique Achievement Award: Peter Helkenn, Nate Navurskis, Anna Arhart, Alexandra Hohm, Cameron Cutshaw, Lydia Helkenn**, Elaina Hohm** and Jonathan Koel
• Studio Theory Achievement Award: Lydia Helkenn, Alexandra Hohm and Elaina Hohm
• Studio Gold Memorization Achievement Award: Peter Helkenn, Elizabeth Hohm** and Summer Senska
• Studio All-Star Performance Award: Anna Arhart, Logan Gerrits, Kate Hamilton, Lydia Helkenn, Peter Helkenn, Alexandra Hohm, Audri Hohm, Elaina Hohm, Jonathan Koel, Nate Navurskis, Maria Porter and Summer Senska
Bigge is a nationally certified teacher of music with the Music Teachers National Association and maintains a private studio in Huron.