City pet licenses available now


HURON — City pet licenses for 2024 are now available for purchase.

Beadle County Humane Society Executive Director Kim Krueger would like to remind the citizens of Huron that it is the law that cats and dogs that live in the City of Huron must be licensed yearly. This applies to all cats and dogs, even if they never go outside.

Licenses can be purchased at the shelter or at City Hall where you pay your water bill. Office staff is typically available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and alternating Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m. or later.

They can also take your information and payment over the phone as well for your convenience, or by mail.

A form is available at, and there will be a $2 processing fee. Licenses fees are due by Jan. 31 each year.

Krueger would like to remind pet owners that you must be able to provide proof of current rabies vaccination at the time of licensing. Not only is licensing your pet required, it is very important in order for the shelter to get your lost pet home in a timely fashion to alleviate the stress on both the owner and the animal. It also helps them to contact an owner in an emergency medical situation. They come across several of these situations each year and are left to sometimes make a life or death decision for an animal, and they would much rather have the owner responsible for that decision.

The fees for pet licenses are as follows: altered pets $10, unaltered pets $20, kennel license (for persons owning four or more animals) $60

• If your pet is impounded without a license the fee will be $30
• If you fail to comply with the licensing ordinances animal control can and will issue a summons, in which case you will have to pay a fine along with  licensing fees and possible court costs.